The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Friday, March 23, 2012

Insomnia, Thy Name is Jori

Last night was the weirdest night we've had with Jori since she was a newborn.

It all started with skipping her afternoon nap. I wanted to show my sis-in-law Jandel this part of the Provo River Trail that Sam and I used to bike all the time, that leads to a little duck pond and a playground. Then Sam skipped his last class of the day, so he was available to come and I was even more eager to go. So when Jori wasn't taking to napping, I just said 'forget it' and got her out. I was thinking she'd probably fall asleep in the stroller on the outing.

Wrong. She skipped it completely, and was acting super tired by five o' clock when we left.

Too late at that point, right? That's what I figured. I thought we'd just put her to bed early-her bed time is at seven o' clock, so we just had to hold her off for like an hour and a little and then she could go down.

An hour and a half later she was acting real whiny, and I realized what time it was and was so proud of her for lasting that long! So Sam tromped upstairs and put her to bed. She cried for ten-ish minutes, then fell asleep. Pretty normal.

HERE'S where the weird stuff began:
6:50-7:20, Jori's asleep
7:20-7:35, Jori awake, crying. Frantically. You know those short little cries they do when they're real worked up, almost panicky? Like a whole ton of short ones in a row? Uh-uh-uh-uh-...I can't type it. Take my word for it-she was doing that. So...
7:35 I go up to get her, but I don't nurse her since Sam had given her a bottle less than an hour before. I bounce with her for about fifteen minutes, then take her downstairs so Sam can help me give her some ibuprofen. We were clueless, I'm telling ya. So then...
7:55, back in crib. Still crying, still really upset.
8:15 Sam goes in and gets her, and takes her outside for a minute (she seemed hot-we thought this could help). She calmed down as soon as he picked her up though, so he didn't spend much time outside since she thought they were off on another adventure and was she was looking around like there were pirates or something.
8:20-8:30 Sam holds her till she falls asleep in his arms. He puts her down, HOLD YOUR BREATH...she wakes up. arg!!
8:30-8:47 Jori cries while Sam works on homework and mommy finishes the mountain of dishes she's been procrastinating.
8:47 Mommy goes upstairs and decides to nurse her after all: doesn't work, she's still awake. Super cute though, talking gently to herself afterward. So a new tactic is tried: taking Jori to bed with her. Jori does not sleep in our bed though, like ever, since she was much tinier and would nap on my chest while I laid in bed. So it's not like this is a common occurance-she's NEVER slept in bed with us at night; but we're willing to try anything at this point to get this poor creature to sleep. She doesn't like being on my chest this time but after I just hold her next to me, she snuggles in, talks gently and then falls asleep.

**Side note: Apparently, all of us Christensen children sleep like our dad does, with our arms high above us. Total exposure for a tickle attack. All my brothers' wives say they sleep that way, Sam says I sleep that way, and I discovered last night Jori sleeps that way. Made me smile, I tell you what.

9:05? After being asleep for about ten minutes, Jori wakes up, fairly upset. So I take her downstairs for daddy to hold so I can actually get ready for bed this time, take out my contacts and whatnot, and then try again with her in bed with me. I take about ten minutes, come downstairs and this is what I find:
The happiest sleep deprived baby you ever did see. What the heck?! Jori just kept laughing and smiling HUGE, like that, for about twenty minutes. What can you do? We just laughed right along with her, and let her stay up with us while we watched soccer videos on youtube. Finally...
9:40, that's right NINE FORTY, we all go upstairs and I nurse Jori again, in bed with me. But she's not going for it and both of us think it'd be better if we put her back in her crib-we don't want to be forming any bad habits (more than we've already formed anyway), so I put her in her crib and...
she sees her stuffed pig, so reaches for it and snuggles into it. I put her blanket over her and expect to hear the crying within 20 seconds of me leaving the room, as is customary...but nope! Didn't hear a peep. She finally fell asleep.

SUPER weird night with the little one. Sam said he heard Jori crying at 11 and 4, but apparently I was too out of it so I didn't hear her myself until 5. But she seems no worse for wear this morning?? My cute little crazy babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment