The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Four more recipes


Well a century later...

Shepherd's Pie
Pros: Fast and easy, and only 279 calories per serving. Tasty, tasty :) Oh and I made real mashed potatoes, cause I like them so much more than instant, so I guess that took a tiny bit longer.

Cons: The kidney beans tasted really weird. I guess I shouldn't buy them at Smith's anymore, or something.

Chicken with Asparagus and Roasted Red Peppers
Pros: 271 calories...but I didn't get actual red peppers. I got red pepper flakes instead. You know, the spicy ones. Gave it a bit of a kick but I think next time I'll stick with the real deal. Maybe that made it even less calories per serving?
Cons: um...shoot. I can't remember. Oh, I never like tomatoes so didn't eat all of those like I should have. Still, overall it was a good recipe.

Superfast Salisbury Steak
Pros: super juicy meat, super flavorful. Easy to prepare.
Cons: How healthy can Salisbury steak really be? Come on. At least if you're going for low calorie count.

Slow-Cooker Chicken and Pasta Soup
Pros: Really easy, and it was great for our family: I just put in the first batch of ingredients at like ten in the morning, and that night (a Monday) when Sam got home, dinner was practically already made for him. He just had to add a couple more ingredients.* Plus I'm not normally a huge fan of soup because...I don't know, it's just soup after all. But this had tons of yummy flavor, so that was great! (I added some celery salt and a few other things lightly though, just experimentally.)
Cons: It calls for fresh dill and fresh spinach...but this was the last recipe on our list I tried, so by the time I made it the spinach was much more wilted and half the dill had gone bad, anyway. So I should've just made this sooner, I think.

Overall rankings?
1st place: Sichuan-style Chicken with Peanuts (I've already made this a second time)
2nd: Shepherd's Pie (would have been perfect if not for the kidney beans)
3rd: Superfast Salisbury Steak
4th: Slow-Cooker Chicken and Pasta Soup
5th: Chicken with Asparagus and Roasted Red Peppers
6th: Angel Hair Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

I enjoyed eating all of them, though, and am likely to use most of these recipes several more times. :)

*Side-note: Mondays have been the pits for us this semester, as far as 'family time' goes. Sam's at school/work 10:00 until 4:00, then I'm at class 4:30-7:00, then Sam goes back to work 8:00-midnight. So we only get about ten minutes right when he gets home and before I take off, and half an hour to eat dinner together. If there's dinner to eat: Jori goes to bed at 7:00 and in case you didn't know, it's really hard to make dinner when you're in charge of Jori. So I really should have made better use of a slow-cooker mondays this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment