The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Actual date this was written: September 14, 2010


Sam and I are trying to save money. We have been since we've been married. Not like save up for anything, just try not to spend too much since we're poor.
It's become a new interest for me, finding deals in food so we get to save more money. It's almost a hobby: I love it when we can find things on sale, in bulk or ways to make things from scratch that are WAY cheaper than what we would have spent buying it at the store.
One good example: guacamole. I have a passion for guacamole, and we always make it ourselves. Yum!
One bad example: Tortilla chips. The first time they weren't so bad, but the second time was a nasty fattening disaster.
Some things to make from scratch are more adventurous than others; anyone could agree. But I thought bread was a common thing to make at home rather than buy it at the store, so thought I'd give it a go.

Never again!

Attempt one: I started with a simple recipe I'd found online. "Amish White Bread." Where can you go wrong? I like following recipes-it's very easy to do correctly. But I pour the stinky, brown yeast into the water and...nothing happens. ? What? I stir and stir, but to no avail. I finally check the expiration date on my yeast, and find that it should have been used up four years ago. Yikes! (It's pretty funny considering I got that yeast as a bridal shower/wedding present...in December 2009, already three years past it's expiration date.) I laugh, and think 'no biggie, I'll grab some good yeast next time I go shopping.'




Attempt two: I got the new yeast at the store, and went back for another shot at it. I get to the same road-block, expecting to this time coast past it, and...fail! The yeast still would not activate! Whaa??? I'm kind of frustrated now, thinking "Seriously? This is ridiculous." But I calm down, and think for a moment...and realize the water probably wasn't the right temperature! I smile, relax, and go waste my time facebooking for the next hour.

Attempt three: This time I could almost taste the success. Bread. Successfully made bread. I heat up the water to the perfect temperature, measure the exactly correct amount of brand new yeast, and...that stupid mass in the bowl will only turn into a thick brown paste! It will not rise to save it's life!

I toss my hands into the air, grab a carton of ice cream, and sulk on the couch.

Good thing my husband is more resourceful than I am. He called his mom, who after a few other suggestions tells us we could pour in sugar and that might help.
Annnnndddddddd.....................

It finally worked! Yayyyy!
The only final problem was that we didn't have two pans to bake them in, so Sam spread them out on a cookie sheet and made 'french' bread instead. And it tastes great! I have such a talented husband. :)

But I still hate yeast. urg.

No comments:

Post a Comment