The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Actual date this was written: September 12, 2010

Well, Sam and I are now two weeks into our first full semester at BYU. And good gravy, it is way harder than BYU-Idaho. Maybe that's partly because I'm taking 16 credits and working (though only working like 7 1/2 hours each week). I've never taken that many before so it's rather challenging.


Sam had a really hard schedule too, and he was working almost 20 hours per week at the same time. That's not easy! He was really un-happy and stressed all the time, so I talked him into dropping his physics class for now (which was just a repeat anyway) and taking a D&C class instead. I'm so glad he did! I think it's working out a lot better.


We're currently trying to decide what career path my Samuel Don should take. He's planning on continuing to take Pre-Optometry classes as well as his Linguistics courses, for the rest of his stay here at BYU. But for one thing I'm not sure if they'll let him, considering he's only starting the major now and already has 90+ credits, and for another...as he put it, Optometry, along with a lot of other careers, is only like an 8 on the scale of 1-10, 10 being what you're most passionate about. He doesn't really care about it all that much, but he likes that the hours are consistent and often you can set them yourself (if you own your own...practice? business? whatever it's called).


What I think would be perfect was if he could actually find a career that was sticking with Linguistics. I think he has a passion for languages, and would enjoy that immensely.


We have also talked about him being a helicopter pilot. His parents his stared at him when he said that, almost like he was joking, but they said they were supportive and I'm sure they would be if he did indeed decide to pursue it seriously.


I too have no idea what I'm going to use my major, Psychology for, since the more I think about it the less I want a job in the field. But who cares, I'll figure it out.


We had kind of an interesting discussion on Friday about Utah Valley. We went to the wedding reception of a childhood neighbor/friend of mine, and there were all these other young people there, wearing the latest trends and with the hottest hairstyles. On the car ride home, Sam kind of explained that people like that make him feel bad. Not bad about himself, or bad in a guilty way because he's judging them. Bad because they aren't living the way the Lord wants us to. The best way I could understand was thinking in terms of like 'Sunday Mormons.' I think he was suggesting there are a lot of people he sees constantly in Provo who seem to fit this. Who have their hearts set on the things of the world, on wearing the most expensive clothes and having the most money and the best smile.


It was kind of sad for me to think about, because it's true, I see people like that all the time. And it's frustrating for those of us who try not to be that way: they give us a bad wrap. Both as Mormons to non-members, and as 'Utah Mormons' to members who don't live in the state.


But I guess it's also an opportunity for Sam and I, and that's how I've been trying to see it. First, to resist looking down on people like this. It can be easy to do. Self-righteousness is easy to fall into-hello, it's pride. Look at the Book of Mormon and you can count how frequently the people became prideful.
And second, to set an example. To love everyone, and dress and act in a way the Lord would approve of. To focus on what counts, and try to ignore what doesn't.


I think that's enough for the day. Happy sabbath -Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment