The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Thursday, July 26, 2012

2012 Hatch Family Reunion: Trek!!

If you don't know, every summer we have a family reunion on Sam's side with his parents, all his siblings and their families, respectively. It adds up to about...39 people, last time I counted. This year, his oldest sister Heidi decided to have us re-enact some of what the pioneers in the Willie Handcart Company went through. I can honestly say, it was truly an incredible experience.








 The first day was supposed to be Wednesday, when people were expected to arrive in the evening. We, due to our internships, didn't leave until quite late, and didn't reach their actual campsite until 11:00 pm. Still, we survived.





































Thursday was the day of the actual trek. We all dressed up like pioneers, and hiked six miles with our families. 



Friday, we went to the 'Sixth Crossing' spot, and in the evening had a talent show.










Saturday morning we had a testimony meeting, then packed up and went our separate ways.

Unfortunately because it was a month ago, I don't remember a lot of what else we did. I do remember one thing I noticed while on the trek, though: I discovered, I am a total Laman and Lemuel. I was murmuring and whining (if only in my head) through a lot of it: it was hot, Jori was heavy, I was hungry and tired. But I didn't realize until we were done for the day just how much of a punk I was for those negative thoughts. It was kind of funny and good for me to realize this: it seems like I never notice how closely I resemble many of the Book of Mormon's 'villains' until after the fact. Hopefully one of these days I can catch myself sooner. Maybe. :)

The only real bummer of the trek: there was sickness going around, and Sam got it on Saturday morning. So we had to drive home with him a sick man. :( Poor fellow.

Oh! And Jori's birthday was the last day of the trek. Here's a video for proof: 

1 comment:

  1. so so fun! love love love seeing these pictures of a family I love.

    ReplyDelete