The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Creativity?

So, I joined pinterest in August of last year. Since then I've gone through these swings of pinteresting like mad. I get all excited about these projects I find...then I realize we have no money and/or lose interest, only to have at it again some odd months later. That's why I have a ton of projects in mind, but only a couple that have even taken off the ground and even those aren't completed. But I thought I'd share progress since...who knows if they'll ever be completed anyway. :P

(Weirdly, I've realized I wish I'd never gotten into pinterest, because now I feel like everything in my lil home is ugly and I should be on top of everything looking beautiful and it makes me self-conscious about inviting people over. So stupid. I wasn't before--wish I'd never gotten sucked in. Whatevs though.)

I got inspired from a few glider updates I found online, liking this one the best:
So I bought some camping foam from Home Depot for around 25 dollars, my mom gave me an un-used electric knife, I measured some things and created these:
 Then I covered the top and bottom (not the arm rests yet because I'm waiting to do the ottoman first and that is at a stand still)...with this adorable fabric:
Michael Miller Retro Forest Life Orchid I found online and bought with some of my graduation money. LOVE it. Unfortunately, apparently I didn't take a picture of the cushions successfully covered with removable covers...and Jori's asleep...so this is all I can show you. Surrey. Be grateful anyway k?
Before that, I got inspired by this:
The Art of Hanging Art by @Jenna_Burger: Tips for hanging art and pictures and Another pinner said: Use an eclectic mix when filling a hallway wall. This collection is easier to "see" than a wall of uniform shapes and matching frames aaannnddd#1 is the incorrect way to hang pictures above a couch, #2 is correct. Balance it with the height of a door frame. I'm clueless on things like this so love tips!, so after swiping some un-used frames from my parent's house, buying some at D.I., and finding a color scheme that I love: Love this eggplant palette I got cracking. (By cracking, I mean over the course of like four months these things happened:) I arranged all the frames into a layout I liked, figured out what photos would go in what frames, and painted them all the different colors in this scheme (except the two on the ends, I just did white instead). Then I put up newspaper on the wall to make sure I'd be hanging them correctly, and Sam put up the actual frames in their place.
 It's gotten to this point:
 Yeah, this high-quality pic was taken with my flip phone from my freshman year of college. (Did I mention how I lost my phone in October at the mall? yeah...)
Anyway that top right one, I ordered the wrong size pic, so it's been a gap in the square shape I was going for; the one on the bottom doesn't actually have a back; and the one in the very middle and to the right were going to be filled with family pics we took in the fall, which never happened. Oops. BUT. Look how close it is to being done, folks!! Atticus is in these pictures and he's only three months old! That's pretty dang impressive for me, speed-wise.

You know what I finally figured out the other day, though? I don't actually want to do all these projects, I just do like pretty things and love saving money. So I see a tutorial on pinterest for a beautiful bed spread and think "That'd only cost me forty to make, it'd cost a hundred sixty to buy!" so I buy supplies and then realize...man...I don't want to sew for ten hours. Blegh.

You know what I DO enjoy though? Organizing. At least, I once did. I think I still do. Odd, considering how un-organized a person I seem to be. But when I was younger at least, I got such a kick out of it. It was like a puzzle: making things fit well, and look nice. A challenge. I wish I could re-discover my love of it. I had a lot of fun organizing a couple of my parents' downstairs rooms when I was pregnant with Jori.

**Update 12/7/2013: Per request, here's what the glider looks like so far, though it still is a cream color and I want to paint it a gray that I have the paint for:
 And here's a better one of the gallery wall, thus far.

3 comments:

  1. okay, I've been waitin for this post... and I love it except for one tiny glitch? There are no after photos!!!!!! No chair (understandably) but your flip phone isn't working right because although I can see where it is supposed to go there is no picture collage photo either? Please? Pretty, please repost this with pictures so I can say how fabulous they look and how inspired I am to do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so amazing! Your chair looks "lovely" - no really, awesome! Love the fabric and I think it looks good with the current paint job even. Better even, than I pictured it! And your gallery wall...those colors are seriously gorgeous together and the pictures... really fabulous! They make that couch look even better, Thanks for giving into my special request, you've made my day!

    ReplyDelete