The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Not bummed anymore!!

So update on Jori's sleeping:

after that last post, I felt like I really needed to buckle down and endure to get Jori sleep trained. So I borrowed my parents' cot, so I could sleep downstairs in our kitchen (the farthest away room I could possibly be in from Jori) and I turned on the fan of the bathroom that's between the kitchen and the stairs, to try to muffle the sound. And I was able to endure!

And Jori is doing great!!!

She's not sleeping through the night, or anything. But I just committed to not going in to check on her until she was already asleep, except maybe once if it had been like, 9 hours since she'd last eaten.

Really, she's doing stupendous. She is waking up-six months of one way is hard to forget!-but she's putting herself back to sleep within 5-10 minutes. Oh I'm SOOOO proud of her!!!

You know honestly, the plan WAS to do what this friend from our old ward did with her two girls, and let them cry for an hour but if they were still like really wailing at that point, go in and feed them. I thought I could endure that. But the combination of me not being able to hear her much and just utter exhaustion won over, and I kinda accidentally just left her there...but I'm now so glad I did. She's doing better for it.

I think it also helped that I decided I would comfort her to sleep, in the beginning at least. So that at least the night starts off right. And we bumped up her bedtime significantly for this process-she's going to sleep at 6:00 currently. Both were talked about in the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child," which was my favorite of all the sleep training theories I've come across thus far.

SO! Our next step is now putting her down still awake to bed at bedtime, and then I think putting her down awake to bed at naptime.

But she did so awesome today! She took 2, 2 hour long naps!! Holy cow!!! I was very proud of her.

Just thought I'd share all about it. I'm so pleased. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! (and thanks for the inspiration, I need to buckle down too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go!! I love "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." It was a lifesaver for me. I'm so glad Jori is sleeping better. It makes for a happier mom and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nurse to sleep but then leave her if she wakes up crying during the night? Is that how you are doing it? Just curious. Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete