The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Soccer

Soccer season is done! It was kind of intense: basically four weeks, two games a week, and then done. Plus practices for Jori's team. They started crazy early, too! Middle of August, it was soooo hot! Yeesh.



I decided to be Jori's soccer coach this season. I'd like her to enjoy the sport more, enjoy her time out there better. So I was hoping with me as a coach she'd have that. I don't really think it made that much of a difference; she still dawdled just about everywhere, daydreamed, etc. But I'd just try to help her focus. At one point the goalie kicked it directly to her when she was a defender, and she just stared at it, waiting for someone else to get to it first. That girl! Gotta love her.



But when I ask her if she likes it, she says yes, and when asked to elaborate she says she likes the treats and when her team has scored a goal. I'll take it.




Atticus, it has been fun to watch, has really come to love it. Both he and Jori started playing for the first time last fall, and at that point he'd just stand on the field with his fingers in his mouth, or refuse to go on at all. Most of his team was the same way, in varying degrees. There was so much bribery on the sidelines! It was hilarious. Parents bribing their kids with promises of ice cream, fun activities, candy...if the kids would even all be running in the right direction, all of us parents basically erupted like they'd won the world cup.
(PROOF.)

I'm tangenting: after that first fall, he pulled a total 180 and LOVED the spring soccer season. We switched where we did it, and the new city (from Holladay to Murray) I think helped, because Murray has fewer kids on the field at a time and smaller teams.

So this fall he had a great time, and even scored his first goals!! I wish we'd gotten it on camera! Alas. Not fast enough.




I don't know if I'll coach again, because their games were at the same times 3 out of the 8 games, and most of the other times they were right in a row but at different locations. So as Jori's coach, I'd either have to make Atticus leave his game early or miss the first part of it, because I couldn't miss Jori's. Poor kid got shafted. Too bad we don't have two vehicles that can carry children in them!

I'd like my kids to find a sport, or even just something physical and athletic, to enjoy. It gave me a real sense of accomplishment and confidence, when I realized that even though I was small, I didn't have to let bigger girls push me around. I could push back. (Not with hands...hopefully you get what I mean.) It was just empowering to me, honestly. Discovering a new side of my not-usually-very-physical-self. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they'll enjoy. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment