The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Sunday, May 17, 2015

How many jobs have you had?

In some ways...it's a good thing I'm a stay-at-home mama. Employment wise. I think I have a current resume, but I never include ALL the jobs I've had on there. I know employers don't like seeing that. But I always found it easier to find two part time jobs than one full time, when I only had 6 months I could work anyway. And I liked variety. If I was going to have a super low-paying job anyway, why not do a different one than I did last time, right?

Would you like to hear? I'd like to reminisce, so I'll share regardless. I'll start with my first:


  • May 2006: Library Page for Provo City (Book sorter and shelver)
  • Office Clerk at a Student Housing Property Management Company
  • Waldenbooks Bookstore employee (met a boyfriend at this one)*
  • Library Page (2nd time)*



  • Allen's Grocery Store: Non-foods Department Employee*
    • *= I worked these three at the same time. For about five months before I left for college and after I had just graduated high school, I worked 50-60 hour work weeks. Busy bee! It was made easier because I genuinely loved everyone I worked with, at all three jobs. That was crazy lucky.
  • Subway Sandwich Artist (Rexburg)
  • Subway Sandwich Artist (Provo, I had to get re-hired and it wasn't a transfer thing, so I think they count separate)
  • DownEast Basics clothing store employee (Two days. SO. BORING. They'd have cameras around to make sure their employees were doing something at all times, but if there was nothing to do you had to pretend you were doing something of value. If I'm at work, I'd rather do something!)


  • Library Page (3rd time)
  • Daycare/Preschool Teacher
  • Call Center Tech (Two days again, got a more preferable job)
  • Gas station/movie rental place employee (liked the job, the women who worked here hated me though for some reason. Awful)
  • Rock Climbing Gym employee (No pay. Ha. But I got to climb whenever I wanted, and since I wanted to learn how to climb this was nice. I don't tell most people about this job though cause I hadn't climbed before and haven't really since...it was just a fun college thang)

  • Gift wrapper, during the holiday season at BYU
  • BYU-Idaho Library employee
  • Office Clerk at same place (so, 2nd time)
  • Evening childcare provider for the Provo School District's ESOL program. (Best paying job I ever had...it was $11.79/hr, in June of 2011.)
Bam! 17 jobs (or 14, depending how you count it) in 5 years. Which I know isn't really something I should be proud of. But it sure gave me a nice variety! 

I also interned with the Division of Child and Family Services the summer Jori turned 1, for my BYU major requirements. That was hard, but informative. I just shadowed folks though so I didn't get paid. 

You know the only thing that I've ever really loved doing that would probably count as work, though? Thinking of career potential? Organizing. I used to have a real...pep, for it. Particularly making everything fit (well, practically) in small spaces. (Note: cleaning is a totally different thing. Cleaning involves scrubbing, wiping, etc. And Picking Up is putting things where they go. Organizing is DECIDING where they go.)  I always thought it a shame I couldn't really pursue this in the way I wanted to. Not like they offer it as a major in college, or it pays all that well. And I don't think I'd enjoy organizing for super wealthy people, with tons of space. There's no satisfaction there. 

I also have a real passion for adoption as an alternative to an abortion, and really enjoy helping people figure out where they belong (employment wise or otherwise), so I am slightly curious if any of these things ever yield an actual paycheck. I guess we'll see.

What does your work history tell about you?

1 comment:

  1. This was a fun post! I can't believe you have pictures of all these fun places! I remember when you bounced around a bit having several jobs quickly, looking for one you enjoyed. Amazed at how quickly and easily you found jobs and were hired. I could give you some practice at organizing, if you would like to try out an non-paying internship, I might even offer free babysitting. ;) - I keep wondering if I'll ever have a really paying career and what, if anything, I'll do when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete