The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's madness at Smith's! And drug dealing

I wanted to make a post primarily about Valentine's day, but I can't resist before getting to our fun events of the day mentioning the madness that was the Smith's grocery store at 6:10 pm this evening.

Holy tomatoes!

I have NEVER seen a grocery store so crowded. It felt like trying to find parking on campus (BYU or BYU-Idaho really), but worse because not only was every spot taken, people were everywhere. Prancing around busy in their own little lives, cutting off the cars. And the cars cutting off the cars. Including mine, eventually-I was stuck for so long! Oops.

But this was perfectly logical when I went inside, and seriously my whole time in Smith's I could not stop giggling. Out loud. Alone.

It was insanity!

Men were literally everywhere. Right when you first go into the Smith's on Freedom Blvd in Provo, there's this area where normally there are all these bins with discount items. But instead, there was this HUGE square area set up with lady workers in the middle, frantically cutting off and arranging flowers for men of all shapes and sizes. There were pre-made bouquets too, and chocolates and other Valentine's-related merchandise ready to be grabbed.
The further I went into the store, the harder I laughed. Old men! Young men! Polynesian men! Mexican men! Causasian! All there for one purpose: to buy gifts for their Valentines.
It was hilarious. Wish you could have been there. I should have taken pictures! Next year.

So the drug dealing part...
as one of our activities for Valentine's day, Sam and I ended up at a park in Provo with frisbees. We were passing it around right in front of where we'd parked, and first this one guy drives up and parks and then another. It was kind of weird to me-one in particular looked rather scruffy, the other just a normal Joe. But I was curious why they were meeting up at an almost unpopulated park in the middle of the day on a Monday. When it's kind of rainy.
So the scruffier looking guy first went around to the drivers side of the other car, like he was just going to talk to him through the window. We're glancing at them the whole time: we're right in front of them, seriously.
Then that guy goes around to the passenger side instead and opens up the door, like he's going to get in.
Then finally the other guy actually gets out of the car, and they wander off together with cigarettes in their mouths.
Right before they wandered off, the scruffier looking one (who we hadn't heard the whole time) says loudly "I gotta meet here or I'll get in trouble with the Mrs! She gets mad when she smells [cigarette] smoke on me! Gotta come to a park!"

Ok. What? Nuh-uh.
So you can make fun of me if you want, but I seriously doubt they were only there to smoke cigarettes together. I think he just said that cause he knew we were right there listening. And I don't think they would have wandered off together if it weren't for the fact that we were right there, clearly in view of whatever they would have done in the second guy's car or exchanged out of it.

About 15 minutes later they came back, got in their separate cars and took off.

So anyway. I wish I'd gotten their license plate numbers!!! Because the whole thing seemed so sketchy to me. I did call it in an hour later, but they were just mad that I didn't call right away and get the license plate numbers. ARg.

Anyway. Made for a fairly exciting turn of events on Valentine's day, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment