The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Technology

I have a lot of other posts I want to publish, but the longer I wait the longer they become. Still, this was important enough I wanted to share about it.

We went to temple square today. It was a hot day, so we took advantage of the shade and open buildings. The flowers were beautiful, and the temple was, as always, breathtaking. The kids enjoyed the fountains and escaping from us when they could.

But I noticed a couple things on this mostly pleasant family outing. First, most people were walking around with their heads glued down. Eyes on their phones.

Second, in the North Visitor's Center, we trekked upstairs and got to see this:



Honestly, one of my first thoughts upon entering the room was "I want to get a picture of the kids in front of it." But others were doing that already. So I sat down. And just, stared at it for a while. And I noticed something while sitting there. Families were coming in, taking pictures in front of it, and walking out immediately.

Why does this bother me? All the people with their eyes glued to their screens, even when out and about with their families? Why does it bother me that people weren't really looking at the statue, or looking around at the beautifully painted walls and ceiling?

 Because a statue of Jesus Christ isn't some man painted metal on a touristy street. He is our Lord and Savior. Our Redeemer. I understand that it's hard with little ones (trust me, don't ask me about how stake conference went today) to try to reflect spiritually on things. I also understand that because children are only little for a little while, we want to capture memories of them, and that's why we should take pictures.

But is it more important that people see us 'appreciating' Him, or...to actually appreciate Him?

Maybe that's harsh. But I felt like the room deserved a bit of reverence, honestly.

I think I'm feeling this the most because I've seen it in my own life, in myself: technology and obsession with what we show of our lives/seeking others' approval becoming a much higher priority than it deserves. I mean it's so easy to have questions instantly answered. Instant gratification, with a simple internet search on this and that.

But is this right?

I think I needed this, seeing both technology and social media prioritized higher than the most important being in our existences, to remind me. It isn't. Never.

I'm glad I was forced to reflect today.

No comments:

Post a Comment