The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Monday, February 22, 2016

Jori's and Atto's Bedroom

I love organizing. I can tell because I re-organize things all the time. Remember those 10 hours I spent in December, organizing the toys into three different categories (again)? Yeah, I've changed it again. It's so weird 'cause I hate cleaning, I don't enjoy decorating really (just enjoy the byproduct of it), and yet. There's something about finding the perfect fit, the perfect arrangement...it's like a puzzle for me. I thoroughly enjoy it. At least when I succeed at it.

So I've had fun, moving Atticus into Jori's room and making things that had been in the two fit as well as I can into one. And I want to share! Because it tickles my fancy! So...here's that:

First, the loft bed and reading nook. I have a lot of further ideas on fabrics and whatnot for the reading space, but right now things fit so great! We have an old foam mattress pad folded in half, with this child's chair next to it. 
On the left of this picture you can see a plastic bin that houses their now combined stuffed animals, with a smaller one that houses dolls in front of it. I'd hoped the space between the two beds might be enough for a bookcase...but it really isn't a lot of space. And the depth is weird, what with the crib right there. Like the kids will have to walk through a mini-corridor, if we do end up putting a shelf there. So for now...these things work well. They can access them from under the loft bed.

I was delighted to find that this bookshelf, which we've had since forever and which Sam built when he was 8, fit pretty great underneath Jori's bed. I rearranged the stories so both the ones that had been in Atto's room and the ones that were already there, work together. There isn't a lot of room for growth, that's the only downside...but it works well for the time being.

This is a peek into the two, small closets in the room. I LOVE this, honestly. I don't love the dressers as they are, but I love the fit. We purchased the one on the right just recently. This means they don't take up any space in the room, though, which is just perfect. What I wanted.

Finally, on Saturday, I found my solution to the toy dilemma that had been in their room! After I disbanded the toy rotation (AGAIN), and put a certain number in Jori's room, Atto's room, our 'den' aka room next to kitchen and the rest in the closet under the stairs in the living room, I didn't know how I was going to combine the toys from the two bedrooms into one. We had them on kind of weird things in each room before. 

So I wish I'd taken a before picture, so you could fully appreciate how much less space this particular shelf takes up...but before it was this white end table and an old nightstand that jutted into the room almost double what the current arrangement does. 

And HERE is the glorious solution:
A white, wooden shelf I found at D.I. for $15! It's 2 1/2 inches longer than I wanted, as it does cover part of the molding on the closets, but you can still open the doors so my goal was reached there. And it's height is PERFECT for Atticus. Any taller and it would have made his access to puzzles, the smaller knick knack toys etc. more difficult. But he can see and comfortably reach everything with this as it is. 

I should've taken more pictures of the room overall...but my point is, I'm loving the arrangement right now. This is one happy space-saving-furniture-arrangements-lover.

Finally...this isn't actually in their room, but falls under that organization of kid-related things umbrella, so thought I'd share this too:
I bought this 5 drawer plastic rolling shelf thing, over a year ago. Since then, it's been used in a toy room, the laundry room and now, to house our art supplies. 

Before, they were crammed onto the top shelf of an armoire and it was very difficult to keep track of/find things. When it finally occurred to me to use this cart to organize these things, I was tickled pink! What a great idea.






 
On the very top, I keep our educational supplies right now. I use the book Jori and I do preschool out of, as well as the binder to practice handwriting, daily. The box is a good size for up there, but all the books in there is not a perfect solution...still, it works until I come up with something better.

Ahhh....isn't it nice for things to have a place? 







No comments:

Post a Comment