The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

The Hatch Clan: Where Babies Wear White Tuxedos

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Jori's 2nd Birthday

Ok. Blogging has not been my strong suite this...well, year. Hopefully I can improve upon it. The last post was a BAZILLION little vid links, to bits and pieces of Jori's life that I haven't included on here yet...because I was trying to get all the vids of her in one spot before baby boy was born.

Moving right along: my birthday is March 16th, but my little brother's is June 4th. Growing up, swimming and water parties were basically the ultimate of fun for me. I LOVED it. Loved the water. Naturally I was always envious of my little brother and his ability to have water birthday parties if he so desired.

But now, on the mom side...nothing's changed and I still think water parties are the bombdiggidy. So until Jori voices otherwise, I'm guessing her parties will always be wet ones!

This year we did it at the Splash Pad Provo City just built. We'd taken Jori a few other times and she LOVED it.

 We kept it small this year, just having family in attendance really. This is usually easier for me since I get hosting anxieties and worry about people being excluded/people not having anyone to talk to, in a bigger group where everyone only knows the host.

 Unfortunately for me though, I didn't get to enjoy most of it because things kept coming up to attend to. This affirms to me that I never really want to do elaborately themed or decorated parties, since even keeping it simple turned complex.

 First, it was trying to make sure everyone knew how to get there and that everyone would have a parking spot. Then it was getting the kids ready. Then Sam drove home to get the cake, since it was a hot day and we hadn't wanted it just sitting out in the sun melting forever. Then I had to run across the street to buy drinks, since the drinking fountains weren't working and we'd been planning to just fill up pitchers there with water....etc. etc. Next time I'll just have to plan better.

  I've never been all that creative. That's one reason I love pinterest--you can just copy the creativity of others. But one of Jori's very favorite things to watch is the PBS show "Super Why," which is all about spelling and learning your letters. So Sam woke up early and decorated her cakes as books, and made these super why cake toppers as well. It didn't turn out how he wanted exactly, but I think it looked great. :)

 I forgot to mention the main complication, which deserves mentioning: after Sam drove home to snag the cake and drove back, when he was getting out of the car with it his keys fell off his pants and onto the floor of the car right when he was closing the door. So his keys were locked in the car, along with Jori's presents from us in the trunk. Oi! Fortunately, my old bishop has a towing and collision repair business, and they were able to get the doors unlocked without charging us anything. It took some time getting a hold of them though and checking out some other options first, so that was probably the main damper on a relaxed party atmosphere for me. Blegh. Still, I don't think anyone else was stressing so that's good.

Jori did awesome blowing out he candles this year. Big girl!
 I love Sarah's face in this one above. :) Funny funny.
 Lil cheeseball.

Lucky for us, others had brought presents for our Jori Pori so she still had something to open at the actual park. Hurray!

 Because they'd been locked in the trunk, it gave us the chance to give her her presents the next morning (which I think was the actual birthday day, but I forget).


 Her main present this year was a play kitchen, play dishes and food, along with an apron and chef hat. But thanks to KSL, All-A-Dollar, and presents from others, she had quite the stash after she was all done!

Let me just admit: I hate how ridiculous and stupid I sound in all home videos of Jori. That being said...I'll admit talking to her in a fake-excited way is how I talk to her half the time. I love watching her get excited too much not to try to draw such a reaction from her daily!

I love this little lady. Can't believe she's already two--time flies!! 

1 comment:

  1. Great cake! and what a fun birthday! I think that couch is still cute!

    ReplyDelete